Provincial Bargaining Preparations have begun by MTS:
Bill 45 – The Public Schools Amendment and The Manitoba Teachers’ Society Amendment Act, (click the title to go to the act), has been passed (but not yet proclaimed). It will establish a single tier, centralized bargaining model for all public school teachers, with the exception of the Division Scolaire Franco-Manitobaine (DSFM).
What you need to know?
- MTS is prepared and has initiated the Society’s Provincial Bargaining Protocol, which you can read HERE. The Society will be the central bargaining agent for Manitoba teachers (except for DSFM). Provincial Bargaining Seminar 1 on October 1 & 2, will see representatives from each local come together to compile our provincial needs & wants. Seminar 2 is in March of 2022. The goal after that is to be ready with an opening package for our employer.
- Our local collective agreement expires June 30, 2022, and is followed until a new one is reached.
- If Bill 45 is not proclaimed by June 30, 2022, ITA will commence bargaining on behalf of its members as in previous years.
- MTS supports single-tier provincial bargaining, subject to the following conditions:
- Teachers remain governed under the Labour Relations Act.
- MTS will bargain directly with the Province of Manitoba (the funder).
- Bargaining must be fair and with an open scope.
- The mechanisms for dispute resolution, whether strike or interest arbitration, must be without limitation.
- The best provisions from existing collective agreements should be the standard for the new contract.
- The membership of MTS will remain, as it currently exists.
- Are there concerns about the government’s provincial bargaining BILL 45? One clause reads: “In making an award, the arbitrator or arbitration board must take into consideration all factors that they consider relevant, including:
(a) the ability of the school division or school district to pay in light of its fiscal situation; and
(b) the economic situation in MB.”
MTS and ITA will send regular all-member emails. Please update your MyProfile (LINK) with a personal email, or risk missing out on bargaining updates and the all-members email THE SUB.